Sunday, September 18, 2011

How awesome am I?

I decided that this morning would be perfect for pancakes! As a kid, my mom really only made pancakes for "special occasions" (Easter, birthday sleepovers, etc) but I like to make them for the boyfriend out of nowhere sometimes. He always appreciates having something a bit different for breakfast and being that I have a lot of errands to run and homework to finish today, I wanted something that would keep me nice and full for awhile.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes

- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (I used half cup of skim milk and half cup of almond milk, which gives the pancakes a bit more substance and a very subtle almost nutty flavour)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small banana, mashed (the banana makes the pancakes that much more delicious, and adds even more of a healthy aspect to them)
- 2/3 cup of blueberries


















Heat large skillet to medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt). Add in all wet ingredients and stir just until combined (you don't want to over mix pancake batter). Fold in blueberries last, and be gentle so that they won't burst. Dole out generous scoops of batter into the skillet, cook until golden brown on bottom (or until bubbles start to appear in the surface of the batter), then flip.



















I served my two up with a drizzle of almond butter on one + half of a banana sliced, and almond butter and a bit of jam on the other.


















They may not be the prettiest, but they were delicious! Somehow these pancakes managed to be dense yet fluffy, and left me just full enough after breakfast that I know I won't have to worry about having much for lunch. The boyfriend loved them too! Even Harley was waiting attentively to grab any crumbs that we could potentially have dropped... I guess they were a hit! Try them, they're awesome.

I'm off to run errands, see you guys later!

No comments:

Post a Comment