Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Is it nap time yet?

I'm finally back with another blog post for you guys. Granted, I am typing this up on my iPhone while sitting on the floor down a hallway at school (does that defeat the purpose of blogging?), but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Does anyone else feel like they are so sleep-deprived that they could fall asleep standing up today? I sure do. I was tempted to turn my limit of 1 cup of coffee per day into about 17, but I resisted the urge. I amaze myself sometimes.

I don't know if it was due to being so tired or if classes were particularly tough this morning, but one of my favorite breakfasts totally failed me today. By about 10am, I was starving! I had a yogurt bowl when I got up which, when I was just working during the day, was normally enough for me. I guess I have a lot to learn now that I'm back in school as far as what my body requires for the day.
Anyway, here's breakfast.



















This includes: a few scoops of organic vanilla yogurt (I would normally use organic PLAIN yogurt, but I accidentally bought the wrong tub last grocery trip. Oops! Plain yogurt contains so much less sugar, and you're free to spruce it up with whatever you have on hand.), a small handful of blueberries, half of a banana (sliced) and a couple of tablespoons or so of granola.
I'm such a fan of these yogurt bowls for breakfast because they're so versatile and they're easy to make the night before, throw some plastic wrap over, and store in the fridge for the next morning. I'm bound to love anything that makes an early morning just a little bit easier!

I did have a mid-morning snack just before classes started as well (did you hear that, stomach? I fed you twice this morning, so please quit with the attitude. Much appreciated). I snacked on this little gem:



















(I'm really hoping nobody in the parking lot saw me take this picture. Let me reiterate: I AM COOL).

Allow me to introduce you to 'Whole Wheat Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins'. These were adapted from a recipe of Mama Pea's (Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love), but I'll talk about her and these amazingly delicious muffins in a future post.

I do have an actual recipe to share with you now, though! Woohoo. These are easy, quick, and delicious. The recipe is for Carrot Fries, my friends.
I am one of those crazy people who has pretty much always loved most veggies, and I am a firm believer that they can be SUPER tasty if they're treated with a little love. These "fries" are the perfect example of that.

You will need:

- Large carrots (adjust depending on the number of people you're feeding. If I'm cooking only for myself I use 4 to 6)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Dried or fresh dill
(Notice there aren't really any specific measurements for this recipe? That's because it basically just comes down to personal preference on the amount of each ingredient that you add.


















1) Preheat oven to 415 degrees (celsius)
2) Slice carrots into "fry" shapes, making sure they are fairly consistently sized (you can peel them before doing so if you prefer, but I don't bother)
3) Place carrot slices in a bowl and sprinkle lightly with olive oil
4) Add salt, pepper, and dill (as much or as little as you want. I don't add much of each ingredient because I prefer to let the natural sweetness and carmelization of the carrots shine through)
5) Spread carrot pieces in a single layer on a sheet pan, and bake in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, checking occasionally.


















Once the carrots have softened and started to turn golden, they're ready to come out.

These make the perfect side to, well... just about anything, in my opinion. Think of a main that you'd normally pair with fries, and sub in this much healthier version. I think they're delicious, and hopefully you will too.

Aaand as much as I'd love to stay and chat, I'm being dragged off my lunch break and back to class. Off to Animal Breeds and Behavior I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment