Friday, September 30, 2011

Sleep?

Hello lovelies!

I know it's been awhile since you've seen me around, but things have been crazy-busy (ergo, this blog and its title). I'm at the point now where I keep hearing about this thing called "sleep", but I'm not quite sure if I even know what that is anymore... I'm back for a quick post today though! I only had class for three hours this morning and I don't have to work tonight (GASP) so I have plenty of time for doing homework posting on my blog.

Speaking of class this morning, it was AWESOME! Friday's I have my 'Applied Veterinary Procedures' class. Great teacher and fun class, what more could you ask for?! Every single time we get to do hands-on activities with animals, it just cements even more the fact that this is what I feel I am meant to be doing, and I love it. This morning was no exception. We're currently learning animal restraint (for when animals need blood drawn, procedures done, etc), and we got to practice on a few dogs and cats. Some of it was quite a challenge, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

On the food front, I'll be perfectly honest with you when I say that my creativity has been a bit lacking. I've been trying to keep things interesting and new with my meals so that I don't get bored, but when you're so busy all of the time that can be difficult. This week has consisted of a lot of salads (me and salad are best friends though, so I don't mind too much) and a LOT of leftover stoup.  There is one veggie that I wanted to talk about though, that I have sort of rediscovered this week.

The avocado. 

I went through a pretty big avocado phase a few months back (I swear, I think I was making a batch of guacamole just about every weekend. And you'd better believe that I was NOT sharing). They seemed to be getting more expensive at that point though, so I sort of stopped buying avocados regularly. They're back with a vengeance though, and I think I forgot how delicious they can be! I've just been adding them into my salads at dinner (I probably should have just used 1/2 per day, but they were too delicious! BAD ME).They make what could potentially be a somewhat boring meal that much more exciting!



Many people (especially those people that are trying to diet) shy away from avocados because of their high fat content. Avocados DO have a high fat content, but they contain healthy fat that our bodies require to function, and these fats are also shown to have tons of health benefits. As long as you're not sitting down to a bowl full of avocado in front of the television every night (shhhh....), these guys have been shown to be great for the following reasons:


- they increase the bodies absorption of key antioxidants/ antioxidants help rid our body of toxins and waste that can be detrimental to our health. Why wouldn't you want to eat a vegetable that can increase the absorption of these antioxidants to between 200 and 400%?!

- a major portion of the fat found in avocados has been proven to have anti-inflammatory benefits/ avocados have actually been documented to help improve the mobility in patients with arthritis.

- fat found in avocados also contains Oleic acid/ Oleic acid helps our digestive tracts better absorb fat cells and break it down, instead of letting it hang out and make us, well... overweight. It has also been shown to help lower our risk of heart disease.

- avocados are a great choice if you're diabetic/ avocados are quite low in carbohydrates (carbohydrates are transformed into sugar via the bloodstream, so carbs are what a diabetic has to keep their eye on) but high in fiber, unlike many other vegetables which don't contain very much. They have also been proven to help naturally stabilize blood sugar levels.

If you haven't had an avocado in awhile... GO EAT ONE. Or a half of one, as the case should probably be.  I happen to find them delicious even just with a little salt and pepper over top, but they can also be used in salads, or sandwiches, or as a killer guacamole. Perhaps I'll make up a batch this weekend and share...

Until then, have a great Friday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment